Being geeked out over fashion eCommece is really in style these days (especially in the Bay Are where companies like Polyvore and ModCloth are headquarted).
Think about these numbers: last year, online shopping in the US reached $175.2B last year. And an increasing number of Americans are turning away from Black Friday and just turning on their gadget to shop for deals around the holidays. Though the term Cyber Monday (the Monday after Black Friday) was coined in 2005, it has really grown in popularity in recent years. In 2009, consumers spent $887M on Cyber Monday. Last year, $1028M was spent.
It didn’t take this infographic for me to know that sites like Amazon, eBay, Gilt, and Net-A-Porter have really gone mainstream (especially in comparison to smaller fashion sites like Beso or Bauble Bar). My friends across the country shop on these sites, and have been for years.
Admittedly, it’s super exciting to know that a lot of the startup fashion eCommerce companies here in the Bay Area are names my friends outside of the area haven’t even heard of yet. It’s so exciting that I blog about it, attend industry events, and have formed a related meetup group.
I know I’ve been going gaga over the fashion eCommerce scene for years now. And I am a self-described fashion geek along with some of my best girl friends in San Francisco. We’re both obsessed and intelligent (refer below).
How do you describe your love for the niche?
Honored to have this post included in this week’s Independent Fashion Bloggers weekly roundup:
Whether we realize it or not, we are all influenced by something, whether it be celebrities, trends or designs of the past. This week’s links a la mode celebrates influencers and the voices we create from our inspiration. As fashion bloggers, we have each other to look for when we are feeling uninspired and this community is something we should never take for granted!
Links à la Mode: July 28th
- 1972projects: WASTED
- a tout le monde: Simple & to the Point!
- Beyond Fabric: The Lost Art of Keeping it Simple
- Bespoke Baroque: The Challenge to Wear Less Black (and Grey and Beige)
- Bonnie Vie: Body Con(scious)
- Britt + Whit: Wall Art
- Chanel and Something Else: The Naked Back
- Dress With Courage: How do you define blogging success?
- Fashables: Forever 21 Dresses
- FASHSTASH: Redefining the Gender Boundaries in Fashion
- I Got Style and I’m Fab: A Reflection on Small-Town Fashion
- IFB: What Makes a Blogger Influential?
- Interrobangs Anonymous: Revolution Through Sweaty Apathy
- Kings Rule Together: A Kings Response: GQ 40 Worst-Dress Cities in America
- Lifestyles of the Thrifty and Shameless: Everybody, Everywear (again)
- Panache Offblast: Bring Out Your Inner Geek-Chic!
- Pretty Innovative: Geeked Out Over eCommerce
- Style Island: I’ll be on your side forever more..that’s what trends are for
- Styling You: 10 Ways to Dress for French Champagne on an Aussie Beer Budget
- The Loudmouth Lifestyle: Competing, Comparing Confessing
PLEASE READ IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE
If you would like to submit your link for next week’s Links à la Mode, please register first, then post your links HERE. The HTML code for this week will be found in the Links a la Mode group will be published later today. ~Jennine